Tuesday, December 3, 2013

This is the first post on my attempted food blog. Why am I doing this? Is it worth the annoying set up through google blogger that yields the ridiculous image of kohlrabi in space? I don't know. I'm doing this to document food I've prepared. I love cooking food. I also do not enjoy documenting those meals, and then I regret not documenting them because I forget what I've made. And that, it seems to me, is a real shame. Because I want to remember what I've made and eaten. Enough with this palaver. Let's get the show on the road.

I ate this the other day, It's a smoothie.


I purchased a nutribullet a couple months ago, late at night, over the phone. It was worth it. The thing does everything the commercials say it does. That's chia seeds on the left, suspended in lovely chia gel, along with delicious strawberry kefir, baby spinach and a banana. The result???


A delicious smoothie. As you can see I got a little artistic with the second photo. What can I say? I refuse to take crappy food photos. Well, let me put that another way, since I do take crappy food photos no matter what I do. I just think food should be photographed to show its best possible side! And that's hard to do. But I'm going to try...and fail. I think the real key to that picture is the lovely sofa/pullout bed behind the smoothie, available at Boscov's this holiday season at only $399.99!

And now for a lovely dinner. After meat filled holidays, among other heavy foods, I had a real hankering for delicious vegetables. But what to make with them?!? I'm staying with my parents for the holidays, and its a bit of a challenge trying to come up with food to eat for dinner. They are very open to new and wonderful things. But they also want to feel satisfied. Aha! Socca! And because this is my blog I will post two videos to what pops in my head when I think/hear/read Socca:


And for even more minutia that lives in my brain, while I was making Socca I was humming this song to myself. It's not related in any way except for the sounds of the words. Let's go back to 1985 and enjoy some fine music from Berry Gordy's The :Last Dragon:


Suki? Saki? Socca? Socca to me, I'll Socca to you.


The ingredients.


Pictured are peppers, onion, eggplant, squash, asparagus, and white mushrooms. Not pictured? Some leftover fennel. I didn't follow any particular recipe in terms of what veggies go best with socca. I just made a bunch and figured I'd find out which ones match.

I don't have any pictures of the cooking process. But it's roasting vegetables then mixing batter. I sauteed the mushrooms then added a cup of marsala wine and sauteed some more until the wine disappeared.

Dinner:



I don't have natural light where I sit to eat, so I went to the parsley mill to try to spruce this up. For as drippy as it looks, it was stupendous. The socca was delicious, as I put a lot of flat parsley and some sage and rosemary in, along with lots of pepper. The thing about socca that I find incredible is, fresh hot out of the oven, it tastes almost exactly like my fathers turkey stuffing. This was confirmed by my mother. That is a very very good thing, and why I love socca. Also, a little odd, because its just chickpea flour and water and herbs, while my fathers stuffing is milk, eggs, saltines, chestnuts, mirepoix, sausage, livers, and turkey juice.

In vegetable news, the marsala mushrooms were hands down the winner in complementing the socca. Asparagus also complemented it perfectly. Runners up were onions and peppers.

My father chose to use balsamic vinegar as a dipping sauce for his socca and veggies. Good Good.


For dessert? 2 parts svedka clementine, one part triple sec, 1/2 a part fresh lemon juice. Cinnamon and sugar mix on the rim.


 
Wonderful. The tissues really make the picture, don't they?

Until next time.

















1 comment:

  1. Are we socca twins? Yrs looks and sounds way better than mine. Those cooked peppers look gross though.
    At first I thought you meant you cooked the mushrooms until the wine disappeared from yr glass but I see you've got a nifty little fancy drink there. I Am SO EXCITEEDD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete