Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Downingtown Farmers Market Post.

So every Thursday in lovely Downingtown Pennsylvania there is a wonderful farmers market. (http://growingrootspartners.com/downingtown-farmers-market/) It is usually held in Kerr Park in the heart of the town. For the winter it has moved indoors to the basement of a masonic lodge. I had to learn the secret handshake to enter. 

I can't say enough about the market and the quality of the produce and variety of products and the friendliness of the vendors. I've been to some sad farmers markets, where I was told the best place to get eggs was a King Cullen down the road. Nothing like that here. Besides quality, there's a wonderful variety, of all kinds of cauliflower and apples and potatoes and kale and and and....

So, I went this past Thursday to the first winter market:


Pictured is spinach, arugala, golden beets, japanese parsnips, kale, ground beef and two lamb necks. Yes, lamb necks. Not pictured are a delicious farmer made turkey pot pie and a baguette from a lady that makes the most consistently delicious bread I've ever eaten. 

Oh wait, I do have a picture of the baguette:


The market is 4pm to 6 pm, so the bread and pie were for dinner that night. First a delicious spinach and arugala salad, piled high, with simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, shaved parmesan, bread on the side...and wine:


Next? Turkey pie...and wine:


My hunger was getting the best of me, thus the crooked pic. The aroma was heavenly. This pot pie was intense turkey city. With peas, and corn, and fresh made crust. My mother described it as "earthy". 

The results:



All gone.

I'm going to break up my posts and give everything I made from the market haul its proper due. Next time...it's lamb necks. 

2 comments:

  1. Do I lose my one reader? Or stay true to myself?....I must consult the elders of smaug.

    ReplyDelete