Sunday, December 22, 2013

Let's get caught up.

Last Wednesday I roasted some beets. I then cut up the greens, mixed them with spinach and kale, made honey mustard vinaigrette, and it was devoured.


For dinner was salmon, red potatoes and dill, and asparagus. I got the fish recipe from this book:


It turned out terrific. The salmon didn't need any lemon or nuthin. Unfortunately, the picture looks like someone threw up on a piece of salmon:


I'm trying to give Martha Stewart a run for her bad food picture money.

And then, Wednesday turned into Thursday. And that means FARMER'S MARKET!

So, the last time I went, the market had been moved to a masonic lodge. Then snow came and changed because no one took care of the parking lot. So, the market is back outdoors at Kerr Park. Some hot pics:




Hi, can I have some kale, and chard, some beets, some parsnips...and HUMAN MEAT!!!!!


So here's the haul:


That's curly kale, then from the left, baby red kale, spinach, baby swiss chard, japanese parsnips, a loaf of multi-grain bread, golden beets, 2 pounds of kielbasa, some breakfast sausage, and a pound of....chicken livers. Not pictured is a baguette and chicken pot pie. That's because there are other pictures with them in it.


That's a salad with all those greens. I've never had baby red kale before. It was great. It looks exactly like arugula, yet tastes like kale, but without the chewiness of adult kale. The whole thing was terrific.






The next day I made a batch of baked beans. I didn't want meaty bacon beans, so there's no meat. Except I used Campbell's pork and beans, but whatever. I mixed 3 cans of beans with an onion and green pepper, sauteed. Heated through, then added dinosaur bbq sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, and dijon mustard. And baked for 2 hours at 325. These were really good. I don't have a picture of them on a plate, but is that a bad thing, really?

 

Ciao!








2 comments:

  1. Joe, I love the glasses. The Dahmer vibe works for you but is that a stuffed puppy on the seat behind you? You lose 10 points serial killer cred.
    my mom's making salmon for Christmas but she might change her mind after seeing yr photo.
    Where is the entire can of chiles in adobo for the baked beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your mother doing to the salmon? As bad as the pic looks, it was unbelievably good. It's hard to talk meat with a vegan, lol, but the sauce, which was a minced shallot, a cup of orange juice reduced by half over high heat, 4 tbs of butter, and a half a cup of diced tomatoes is "perfect" with salmon.

      Thank you, I like the glasses too.

      I think stuffed puppies in a black Buick century being driven by me adds plus 20.

      Delete