Sunday, August 3, 2014

Hello Old Friend




It's been since May since I blogged???? Woweee wow wow. Where does the time go???

I guess I didn't cook enough. 

I went to a Mets game and ate in the Acela club. 


My friend and his brother got to watch batting practice because his brother was honored before the game as one of the top 10 teachers in all the city. What doe this have to do with food? Nothing...but my friend Chris got to meet the immortal John Glaser and profess his love of cheap seats. He had just come from cataract surgery:

The other big news is that it was my father's birthday in June and my mother's birthday just this past week. 

So for my father's birthday we shot the moon and went to a lovely place in Pennsylvania called the Kimberton Inn. It was a chance to wear dress pants and a blazer with the following pattern:

The food was stupendous...let's take a look, shall we? (All photo credits to my sister, since I can't take food pictures worth a damn)

 
Ooh, what lovely shrimp cocktail! I came close to summoning Beetlejuice by saying his name twice, but decided against saying it a third time and having a shrimp hand attack my mother.


Ooh, what lovely duck confit!


I couldn't wait for my sister to take a pic, I had to dive right in too my scallops. They made heaven a place on earth.


Some creme brûlée, macallan 12, and the remnants of my espresso. 


It was all great. 

Next was my mothers birthday. I wanted to cook...so I did. I also was able to go to the farmers market while I was visiting to pick up some goodies. I was seriously excited. I love the goddam downingtown farmers market so damned much. Holy moly is it the best!

I went with my mother, who got these beautiful flowers:

I also got a lot of food. I need one of those panorama settings:

I got pickles and pickled turnips, and bread, rosemary, kale, beets with their greens, eggs, cherry and pistachio goat cheese, chive goat cheese, heirloom tomatoes, white potatoes, blueberries and apricots.

Out of these
 
Came this beauty:

It all disappeared later that day.

We had the goat cheese before dinner as well as some shrimp.


The piece de of the resistance was rack of lamb, which I prepared according to my fathers recipe. That golden brown is Dijon mustard, olive oil, a head of crushed garlic and the market rosemary.



I made garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus, roasted beets and beet greens...it was greeeeaaaaaaat!



I did it, I really did it! I made a delicious dinner for my mother!




2 comments:

  1. Nice job Joe. You guys sure like yr shrimp, heh?
    Beet greens are awesome. Did you do anything with the root yet? Lamb and mashed potatoes doesn't sound like August food to me, but I guess that's okay.
    Even the Acela food looks good (the bread and olives) and I love that photo of you.
    Fantastic desserts here too. Blueberry pie (haven't had in ages) and macallan and coffee all sound so good.
    WELL DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Glaser

    For those who are not familiar, I provided the above link.

    Learn to live with it, because Councilman Jamm is one of the best Parks and Rec characters today, woooo.

    ReplyDelete