Thursday, January 23, 2014

Wings 'N Things!! (YUCK)

I've been behind on posting. For that, I blame myself. And the polar vortex. I'm using the blogger app on my phone, so lets see how this goes.

No work pics, this is meat only based. Specifically chicken wings. Faithful readers will remember I was planning on making wings the Sunday after Christmas. I ended up in the hospital instead. But I'm better, and I'm here to say I have back pain, back pain doesn't have me!!!! Yeah!!!!.........Ouch I think I hurt myself typing! But seriously, ladies and germs.

I make really good wings. My first experience with home cooked wings, baked in the oven, no less, was New Year's Eve, 2011. They were delicious and really the inspiration for me to try to make my own. They weren't rubbery and gooey and gross like most places wings are. They were crispy outside and meltingly tender inside. And getting that result is super easy. You gotta bake em for 40 minutes at 400 degrees, then take them out, baste them in hot sauce, and put them back in at 450 for 20 minutes. The time and temp vary from oven to oven, but it's hard to mess up, because longer and hotter is better.

Cooks county, the tv show and magazine recommends tossing the wings in corn starch before cooking to get them extra crispy. I have not tried this method yet, however, I find these to be perfectly crispy. But, I will try it one of these times.

The sauce I use is simple. I don't measure,  really. It's frank's red hot and butter. A lot. With a few dashes of Worcester sauce. 

Another good combo, for a sweeter less spicy flavor, is half dinosaur BBQ BBQ sauce and half franks sweet chili sauce. I really like this combo on the wings. 

Have I written enough? How about some pics? Ok:


Those are wings...in a bowl...with celery. 

A hungry man waits, and is thankful:



It's time to eat:




It turned into a massacre:


Those are what remains when you cook meaty wings the right way. Not a gross chew to be found.

And here is where men are separated from boys. My friend had to summon the little warriors to ask...when does enough become too much?????

The temptation of a bowl of wings, while already having sated his beastly urges:


Eat me, warrior!



What do I do, little warriors?!?!?!? One...more....wing......ooooneee....mooooreee....wiiiiing.....no....no......HELL NO!!!!!!!!




Whew, I'm exhausted. What a roller coaster of emotions. 

And delicious food.

Next time, healthier fare.

1 comment:

  1. does Chris read yr blog? That time you made em at yr place in Greenpoint...were they tempeh wings? or tofu? or seitan?? I can't remember but that's not surprising.

    ReplyDelete